• Will it cost me anything to instruct PCC to investigate a potential claim for my property?

    No, PCC will assess your eligibility for no charge.

  • What are PCC’s fees?

    For all cases we successfully manage through to completion, we take 20%+vat of the claim amount. There are no other charges.

  • How much could I receive?

    For lines supported by wooden poles, the payment rates are around 1% to 2% of the value of property for a permanent easement settlement and range from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand pounds for a wayleave settlement but the final amount will be dependent upon a number of factors. For lines attached to pylons, the payment rates can be significantly greater but again will be affected by a number of other contributory factors.

  • Can I cancel?

    You are not obliged to complete the process and will not face any costs should you choose not to accept the payment on offer at any stage of the process

  • How long will the whole process take?

    There is no defined timescale and it depends largely on the type of claim you have. It’s not a quick process as there are various steps. It could take as little as 6 months or more than 12 months.

  • What happens if I move house during the claim process?

    Whoever owns the property when the claim completes will receive the payment, i.e. if you move during a claim, the case will be offered to the new owners.

  • I already receive a monthly/annual wayleave payment

    If there is a wayleave currently in place it is highly likely that it will not fully reflect your actual circumstances as it is likely to date from several years ago and as such we will still be able to secure a lump sum payment for you.

  • What is the payment exactly for?

    It is very often the case that no formal rights exist allowing the electricity company’s apparatus or lines to cross your property or land. What should be in place to document this correctly is known as a Wayleave or Easement. The electricity companies across the UK are all attending to this issue (and have been for a number of years now) by offering affected property owners a one off lump sum payment partly in return for a Deed of Easement or Wayleave and partly in recognition of the general negative impact of their apparatus on your property value. This is not a matter of litigation or compensation as the electricity companies want and need to update their rights of passage correctly for every property in the UK.

  • Could I manage my claim myself?

    In theory, yes but in practise you’d need to know what you’re doing as there are various steps involved in the whole process. Solicitors handle the funds on completion so you’d need a lawyer who has experience of this specialist sector.

  • What’s involved in the whole process? (for easement applications)

    1. PCC carries out an initial assessment to check claim validity
    2. PCC carries out a full assessment and valuation of the potential claim
    3. PCC submits claim report to appropriate electricity company
    4. Electricity company carries out full assessment and valuation of the potential claim
    5. Negotiations regarding claim value begin
    6. Client is notified of the claim amount on offer
    7. If accepted, solicitors are instructed (all reasonable legal expenses are paid for by the electricity company)
    8. Easement is drawn up and signed by both parties
    9. Claim amount is paid to the client’s solicitor who subsequently pays client and PCC as appropriate.